Sunday, March 5, 2006

The Tate Triennial 2006

Just read a review of this show on the guardian website and if you're thinking of going I suspect its worth a read as you may be wasting your time. I can't comment on the show myself as I haven't seen it but this review tells me what I need to know. I'll use my money to buy more canvas instead!What I can comment on though is this modern obsession by curators to force artists to fit into a view of the world they construct. I'm talking about themed art shows here. I'm sick to death of receiving invitations to shows entitled "Black to White" etc. Shoe horning artists into shows this way distorts their efforts at best and sometimes as seems the case in this show actually detracts from the artists and their work.Whatever happened to the open exhibition where all you needed to do was paint what you wanted to paint and hope you got selected. I know the Royal Academy Summer Show (Christ I've just noticed even this has a theme these days!) still exists but where are all the rest.The Tate Triennial 2006 (don't let me put you off)


No comments:

Post a Comment