Thursday, September 14, 2006

Banksy, guerrilla artist or showman

Banksy has his latest show on in LA at the moment, I'm not going to review it because I'm not likely to find myself in LA anytime soon so if you've seen it feel free to comment. But it did make me look at his work in more detail to see what I thought and mostly I'd say he made me laugh. Most of what he does is humorous with a political or social edge and for me is as much entertainment as anything else. Looking at early reviews of the latest show and in particular the painted elephant I do wonder whether fame and fortune have made their mark though. The inevitable pressure to scale up seems to have taken its toll and he's starting to look like the graffitti equivalent of Damien Hurst. Stick with the small stuff Banksy, guerrilla war is all about hit and run!Banksy website - Worth a look.BBC review of latest show


No comments:

Post a Comment