Saturday, August 26, 2006

Rex Whistler at Brighton Museum 2006

I wasn't in a hurry to see this exhibition and in the end caught it accidently. I didn't feel he was going to be my kind of guy and so it proved. Whistler was undoubtably a talented Illustrator, some of his pencil drawings are of a technical standard I have not seen before. But viewed as a painter (which may be an unfair approach) this show doesn't have much.I couldn't help thinking as I walked around that here was someone working in the past, in 1929 he was producing work that had its roots in Victorian times.Best moment of the show was laughing with a complete stranger at the fantastic abuse of artistic talent the army managed to bring about by obliging him to draw posters outlining the full and correct kit for new recruits, excellant!Talented, but not for me.Rex Whistler


No comments:

Post a Comment