Saturday, July 22, 2006

50over50 exhibition University of Brighton 2006



Enlargement

The 50over50 exhibition at the University of Brighton Gallery is an exhibition of work produced by people over 50 and as far as that concept goes I found it pointless. Artists over 50 are no different to all other artists of other ages and certainly the work in this exhibition displayed no special characteristics that can be attributed to the age of the artists involved. This whole exhibition smells of a funding concept. Lets think of some way to get/spend some of the money in the honey pot. To be honest I'm not against the spending of the money I just wish it wasn't necessary to have to apply some ridiculous theme to an exhibition in order to get funding for it. That said the artists and their work still deserve some consideration and so it was with interest that I took a look around. I guess I'd say I was a little disappointed, technically most of it is fine but at least 70% of it I've seen before in a hundred shows just like this, nothing very original here.The four pictures here were my highlights, the one above won the shows award, personally I liked Lemoney. The good thing about shows at the University of Brighton Gallery is that they are never too big as the space is not that large so It'll only take you a half an hour to form your own opinion!




No comments:

Post a Comment