Sunday, November 6, 2005

Expressionism

Well, the definition of Expressionism according to Wikipedia matchs the work I am producing. So after some thought I concluded I must be an expressionist. It seems that almost all the great artists I have liked and studied in the past are expressionists of one kind or another. Certainly looking at Kandinsky and Miro (wrongly branded a surrealist in my view) I recognise the thought process. I understand the language. But surely Expressionism (and painting come to that) died with Pollock? In my view abstract expressionism was the last great painting movement and until recently I believed painting died with it. The paintings I am currently producing are my attempt at taking painting on from Rothko and Pollock. I wonder what Pollock would have written on his blog?


No comments:

Post a Comment